In these pages I will add further information and references to support the main posts. When I started I expected to do a page for every idea. More recently I’ve not done this because it made the process of generating a post rather slow.
The general background assumptions for these sketches are:
- In 2050 the world population is 9 billion, and stable.
- The poorer areas of the world have been taken out of poverty, continuing a trend apparent in 2014.
- There have been no major wars
- The health of the world has improved due to better health care in poor regions and reduced meat intake in the wealthy areas.
- Reduced meat intake and better plant types – including some GM crops – mean that the world can feed itself and still leave some large wild areas as refuges of bio-diversity.
- Carbon emissions have been dramatically reduced as new technology comes into play.
- The other planetary limits are understood and respected.
- Energy is provided by carbon-free sources. Carbon dioxide is no longer released into the atmosphere. The carbon-free sources are mainly renewable, augmented by nuclear plants and/or fossil fuels with carbon capture and storage where energy requirements exceed the capacity of renewable resources.
- Economic growth has continued. Most people on the planet enjoy a higher standard of living than the European average in 2014.
- African countries, especially the dry countries in North Africa, have enjoyed a surge in wealth as the economic value of their solar energy becomes apparent.
- Climate change has been damaging but not catastrophic.
Note that these assumptions are not predictions. No-one can predict the future with any certainty.